Chocolate gelato and olive oil – together at last!
2 ½ cups whole milk
5 egg yolks
1 ½ cups heavy cream
¾ cups sugar
½ cups double-dutch dark cocoa powder
4 ounces 72% chocolate bits or broken bars
¼ teaspoon instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Pinch salt
3 ounces Olé extra virgin olive oil
- Place all ingredients but the Olé extra virgin olive oil in blender (must be capable of generating frictional heat of about 160F).
- Turn blender on to its highest setting and blend for 6 minutes
- While continuing to run on high speed, pour in the Olé extra virgin olive oil and process for 2 minutes. The mixture should reach a temperature of 185-195F.
- Pour mixture into bowl and refrigerate for at least 4 hours until well chilled. At this point, the custard can rest up to overnight before processing.
- Turn mixture into ice cream or gelato maker and process according to manufacturer’s direction.
Enjoy the heck out of it!