A great vegetarian entrée for any night of the week.
• 1 pound broccoli, thick stalks removed, chopped into florets
• 5 tablespoons Olé extra virgin olive oil
• ½ pound penne or similar pasta
• 1 cup cooked garbanzo beans
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
• Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
• ½ cup loosely packed chopped fresh parsley
• Olé extra virgin olive oil, for serving
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add broccoli and book until very soft, about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, remove to a medium bowl, and toss gently with 4 tablespoons olive oil. Let stand.
2. Bring water back to a boil; add pasta and cook until just under al dente, about 8 to 9 minutes. Drain and set aside, reserving about 1/2 cup cooking water.
3. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Add garbanzo beans; cook until just lightly browned, stirring, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low; add garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until just fragrant, stirring, about 1 minute.
4. Add reserved broccoli, pasta, and most of the parsley to the skillet; stir gently to mix well. Add reserved pasta cooking water; simmer until slightly thickened. Season to taste.
5. Serve immediately with a drizzling of Olé extra virgin olive oil.