A great, healthy and delicious dish that’s easier than it seems. Give it a try with Olé extra virgin olive oil.
1 pound halibut fillet, cut into 1 1/4-inch cubes
¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, more to taste
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, more to taste
4 tablespoons Olé extra virgin olive oil
2 minced garlic cloves,
½ teaspoon dried mint
1 small rosemary sprig
Fresh lemon juice, to taste (optional)
Chopped fresh mint (for garnish)
1. Season halibut all over with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. In a medium-size skillet just large enough to hold fish cubes in a single layer, heat oil over low heat. Add fish, rosemary sprig and dried mint, and let cook slowly until fish begins to turn opaque, about 3 minutes.
2. Stir in garlic and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and cook until garlic is fragrant and fish is just cooked through, another 3 minutes or so (heat should be low enough so as not to brown the garlic or fish but high enough to gently cook everything; the cooking time will vary widely with your stove).
3. Taste and add more salt and pepper and a few drops of lemon juice if desired. Stir in the fresh mint and serve, using a slotted spoon if you want to leave the poaching oil in pan; it is delicious over couscous or potatoes.
Company coming? Try this quick and easy Pesto, to spread on toast or crackers for a great starter or snack.
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (dry-packed, not in oil)
1 cup cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup Olé extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon diced green chiles from a can or fresh jalapeno, (if you like it spicy.)
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1. Soak sun-dried tomatoes in the Olé extra virgin olive oil for 2 hours or overnight, if possible.
2. In a blender or food processor, process all ingredients except the salt and pepper until the mixture is smooth, scraping down the sides of the blender or bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
3. Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- 2 lb. asparagus, preferably thin spears (about 2 bunches)
- 1/4 cup Olé extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 to 3 tsp. fresh lemon juice; more as needed
1. Heat the oven to 450°F with rack in the center of the oven.
2. Snap off and discard the bottom ends of the asparagus spears.
3. Put the asparagus on a large, baking sheet and drizzle with the Olé extra virgin olive oil.
4. Gently toss the asparagus with the Olé oil until it’s evenly coated.
5. Distribute the asparagus evenly on the baking sheet.
6. Sprinkle generously with salt and roast until tender about 10 to 15 minutes.
7. Transfer the asparagus to a platter, toss with lemon juice, Olé extra virgin olive oil and salt to taste, and serve.