Our olive oil is great in desserts too! Try this recipe for delicious coconut brownies.
– ¾ cup Olé extra virgin olive oil, plus more to grease pan
– 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
– 2 large eggs
– 2 large egg yolks
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– ⅓ cup cocoa powder
– 2 ½ cups sugar
– 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
– ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
– 2 ½ ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
– 2 cups shredded sweetened coconut
– Fleur de sel, for sprinkling
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9-by-13-inch baking pan.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons boiling water until smooth.
3. Add the unsweetened chocolate and whisk until the chocolate has melted.
4. Whisk in the olive oil. Add the eggs, yolks and vanilla, and continue to whisk until combined.
5. Add the sugar, whisking until fully incorporated. Using a spatula, fold in the flour and salt until just combined. Fold in the bittersweet chocolate pieces.
6. Pour half the batter into the prepared pan and smooth with a spatula.
7. Sprinkle 1 cup of the shredded coconut on top of the batter.
8. Pour in the remaining batter and smooth. Top with remaining coconut. Sprinkle with fleur de sel and bake until just set and firm to the touch, (about 25 to 30 minutes).
NOTE: These brownies solidify as they cool, so inserting a toothpick to check if the’re done will not work; it does not come out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before cutting into 2-inch squares.