A delicious and exotic one-hour meal.
Recipe from “Fresh & Fast Vegetarian”
2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 cups diced (½ inch) unpeeled eggplant (about 8 ounces)
1 can (15–16 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 cups ½-inch cauliflower florets (from ½ small head, cored and thick stems removed)
1 cup diced (½ inch) carrot
1 cup diced (½ inch) onion
1 cup ½-inch lengths green beans (about 4 ounces)
2–3 tsp. minced seeded jalapeño or serrano pepper, plus more to taste
1 Tbsp. Madras curry powder
1 garlic clove, grated
1 tsp. coarse salt
1 Tbsp. finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
½ tsp. ground turmeric
1 can (13.5 ounces) regular or light coconut milk
½ cup coarsely chopped roasted unsalted cashews
¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
¼ cup Olé extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat the Olé extra virgin olive oil in a large pan over medium-low heat for a few minutes
2. Add the cumin seeds and cook, stirring, until they are slightly darker (approx. 2 minutes).
3. Add the chickpeas and eggplant and cook, over medium-high heat while sturring for 5 minutes.
4. Add the carrot, onion, green beans, cauliflower, jalapeño, ginger, curry powder, garlic, salt and turmeric. Cook, stirring, for five minutes, maintaining a steady sizzle.
5. Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until thickened and the vegetables are tender, (approx. 10 minutes).
6. Spoon the curry into a serving bowl. Sprinkle with the cilantro and cashews and serve.
Makes 4-6 servings.
** Find Olé extra virgin olive oil on Amazon!